Welcome!!!

Welcome to OHPA and enjoy your stay. We hope you take the time to follow the links and take the time to write the Thank You letters we so desperately need these writers and reporters to see. By your support through a few minutes of time you make us all stronger.

Our Supporters!

Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Positive Influence of Hunting, Part I

Following is the first part into an exploration of the positive influence of hunting on the hunter. For those who let it, hunting can become much more than simply going out in the wilderness and getting some meat. It is a spiritual event, putting one in closer touch with nature. Becoming part of the cycle of life can have a profound effect. In this part, and in future installments, I will examine this process by relating stories and interviews with you that have been shared with me, in hopes that you might make the same journey yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------

Each year, more than 18.5 million hunters in the United States take to the wilderness in search of all manner of prey ranging from quail to elk. These hunters have a profound effect on the U.S. economy, contributing some $30 billion annually[1]. They’re also doing their part for conservation by helping to manage animal populations that, left unchecked, would lead to disease and starvation. And let’s not forget the effect that hunters have on the community, not only providing food for themselves and their families, but in the case of groups like Hunters for the Hungry, tens of thousands of pounds of meat to the needy each year[2].

There is no question what effect hunters have on the environment, the community, and on the economy. But what is the effect of hunting on the hunter? What positive influence does hunting have on one’s life? Is hunting a life-changing experience?

Todd C. from Ontario, Canada believes so. He took up hunting in adulthood at the age of 35.

According to Todd, “The feeling of being one with Nature is something that a non-hunter simply cannot understand. I wish I had discovered this emotion earlier in life and now feel sorry for those that are not able to experience the spiritual impact of the woods.”

Why did he wait so long to take up hunting?

“As a youngster, my grandfather would often take me fishing with him”, he says. “My father went hunting a few times while I was young but only for a few years. Throughout my teen years I continued to fish and never really gave much thought about hunting.”

As Todd entered adulthood, the spirit of the wild evaded him. That is, until one night in the 1990s.

“In 1992, the idea of hunting was thrust upon me after going to a Damn Yankees concert. A small catalogue belonging to Ted Nugent was being handed to concert goers. The hunting seed was first planted within me that night.”

The seed was planted, but unfortunately it didn’t germinate until many years later.

“While I read stories about hunting and came to understand the ecological benefits of it, I never actually went”, Todd recalls. “Time, the lack of knowing anyone who hunted, and honestly, apathy, all stood in my way for years.”

Late in 2003, all that would change. Todd and his wife left the Toronto area for the peace and serenity of a more rural existence three hours to the north. Moving to a 50 acre plot buzzing with wildlife brought Todd back to 1992, where that seed began to grow again.

After a few unproductive hunts, he decided to try again on some nearby public lands. Late in the afternoon, Todd would have his chance. He recounts the moment.

“With shaking hands and a pounding heart that I was certain could be heard by the deer, I raised my crossbow and prepared myself. Cautiously a buck came onto the cleared old logging road and I took the shot. With a high kick of his back legs he crashed into the bush. I was ecstatic. I leaped into the air with a triumphant fist pump. I had never experienced an emotion like that. It was truly exhilarating.“

Unfortunately, his first hunt would take an unexpected and unfortunate turn. His deer took off running. Todd tracked it for several hours as darkness descended, and eventually had to give up. That evening, the emotion was overwhelming.

“I won’t hide the fact that I cried that evening. I had shot my first deer and I was unable to find it. What could be worse for a first-time hunter?”

Todd turned back to Ted Nugent, the man who first planted the seed, for guidance. He posted a message on the forum on Nugent’s website, and it was a reply from The Nuge himself that helped Todd get back on track.

“Ted explained how thousands of animals are wounded each year from bald eagles, bears, wolves, coyotes and cougars. That’s Nature, and as long as I, as a hunter, did everything in my power to recover my attempted kill, it was OK”, Todd recalls. “Those comments still resonate within me today. A few days later I successfully shot and recovered my first buck, an experience that is forever imprinted within me.”

How have these experiences affected Todd?

“I learned something about myself after not being able to recover that deer. I care. And I care deeply. I believe I always had a deep appreciation for Nature but now I was a part of the cycle. Being part of that has now become a passion for me.”

The effects of these experiences have been profound. For Todd, hunting hasn’t been just about feeding himself, doing his part for conservation, or taking up a hobby. It has been an exploration of him. And that journey has taken him closer to Nature. He has taken part in the wondrous cycle of life. The spirit of nature has overtaken him. Todd has been changed by hunting and the best part is: the journey never ends.

__________________________________

[1] Source: National Shooting Sports Foundation, 2007 at http://www.nssf.org/hunting/index.cfm?AoI=hunting

[2] Source: Hunters for the Hungry at http://www.h4hungry.org/



--------------------------------

For anyone interested in reading Todd's entire story written in his own words, he has shared it on Ted Nugent's Talkback forum. It can be accessed here.

No comments: